Friday, August 12, 2011

Lebanese Category... Where do you come from? Can you share with us a little something about that place?

I'm originally from Ras Beirut. I was born and raised there but have lived in the states for almost 15 years now. There's an interesting tradition that they used to do in ras beirut that's kind of like Halloween, but I think it has completely died out. A small group of men used to dress up in sheets (like ghosts) and go door to door and sing to people. In return people would give them random things. In my mom's neighborhood, they gave them matches (just matches ... no idea why). In my dad's neighborhood, they gave them fruit, usually bananas .. again no idea why. I had never heard of this until my parents brought it up ... this is something they saw when they were kids. I would love to see this tradition come back .. and I definitely would love to find out more about its origins and meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment